Saturday, April 4, 2015

Because, That's Why

You don't do the Easter bunny? No, we don't. Here's why...

I wasn't neglected as a child. I promise. The Easter bunny came to our house every year without fail. We all got new outfits. We were all in church Easter morning.

I'm a different type of parent. I struggle with all the childhood fairytale stuff. Santa Claus, the Easter bunny, the Tooth Fairy. Maybe it's because I suck at lying. I do know I was the WORST Tooth Fairy in the world when Gabby was little. I was better at Santa. However, there never was, nor will there ever be, an Easter bunny that comes to my house.

Don't get me wrong. I cave in to adult peer pressure. Gabby always got a little something. Bella will always get a little something. However, Gabby knew and Bella will know it's from us. There's also no magical search for the perfect Easter outfit at our house. Appropriate church clothes are already here.

For me, it is important that my children never associate a made up character with one of the most important events in our christian walk...the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. (Please bear in mind that I struggle deeply with Santa Claus). For me, I simply cannot equate a made up bunny with the supreme sacrifice that God's only Son made for me.

I promise, Gabby is not traumatized by no Easter bunny nor will Bella be traumatized by no Easter bunny. As individual families, we choose what is important to us. For us, this is important. I choose to respect whatever choice any other family makes. This is just the best choice for ours. 💗

No comments:

Post a Comment